SOUTHWORKS help Discovery Inc create state-of-the-art video platform powered by AWS
· Reaching more than 431million homes across 29 network brands
· Broadcasting in 170countries and more than 33 languages
· Creating 8,000 hours of original content each year
· Streaming 1,500 hours of live sports per day
You have nearly 1,500 hours of linear and live content you’re broadcasting daily, but getting that content onto mobile devices is a hassle. Not to mention you have decades of old shows sitting in your archives that could be reaching new audiences and bringing in revenue. Here’s the problem:
· You know you need a reliable video pipeline that can scale quickly, but you don’t know how to do that without sacrificing the high quality viewers demand.
· You know you need to consolidate your hundreds of channels and thousands of videos into one workflow, but you don’t even know where to start.
· You know you want to use Amazon Web Services, but you don’t have the staff — or a partner — you can trust to deliver all the features on your wish list.
This isn’t the first time we’ve worked with Amazon Web Services — or the biggest challenge we’ve seen — so we get right to work. Here’s what we do:
· We own it: giving you a team of seasoned AWS pros who know the ins and outs of what AWS can do and who recommend the best tools for the job. They then take a look at your complicated system and break it down into two manageable parts: an asset catalogue and and. encoding platform.
· We bring it: using AWS Cloud and a suite of AWS Media Services, we build a video delivery platform designed around a single workflow that can scale quickly wherever and whenever they are needed. We also build a playback and fail-over console to ensure that whatever a viewer is watching, it won’t be disrupted. We even add dashboards, so your Digital Operations Teams can quickly see, respond to, and resolve issues themselves.
· We prove it: keeping you in the loop every step of the way, so you know exactly where we are in the project and when to expect delivery. The best part? We get 90+ live sports channels up and running in just six months and build an engaging and interactive food-show app for Food Network Kitchen — from idea to launch —in just ten weeks.
In the first month, your new sports app gets more than six million views. It’s been so successful that you’re planning on using it to stream every game of the upcoming Olympics — and45 of the channels will be in ultra-high-definition. You’re now also able to:
· Add channels on the fly. So if you need another cloud channel, you can get it set up in just thirty-minutes.
· Automatically convert live TV to VOD. Instead of your staff spending hours manually converting files, they now have an automated solution that does it in minutes.
· Create more interactive media. In one new food show, viewers can use Alexa to ask chefs questions and get answers in realtime.